A Letter to Dr. Christine Blasey Ford

I read an article on the official Kavanaugh ruling this afternoon on my train ride back to my college campus after a day exploring downtown Chicago, and spent most of the thirty-five minute ride feeling empty and lost, fighting tears. Maybe I'm foolish for imagining that our world was changing, that this specific Supreme Court Justice hearing would somehow be different...that for once our representatives would put aside partisan divisions and direct their energy on understanding Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, trusting and believing that she wouldn't have come forward about Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulting her purely for the purpose of "destroying his career."

Obviously that did not happen and today Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed as a United States Supreme Court Justice. 

I wanted to find a way to rid myself of the helplessness that overtook me and as I was scrolling through Twitter, I saw a tweet suggesting that people send encouraging postcards to Dr. Ford at Palo Alto University in light of today's news. So that's what I chose to do. Below is what I wrote: 

Dear Dr. Blasey Ford, 

The empty feeling that swallowed my heart and mind when I read about the confirmation was not a feeling I've experienced often, and it is truly devastating. However, I want to ensure that you know how inspiring and monumental your courage was for countless survivors and struggling women in general. You have set a precedent that I want to follow. A precedent of grace, cleverness, and heart. Thank you. 

- Kalliope B. - 19 years old


I realize this gesture is small and there's a chance my postcard will never even reach her. But we have to start somewhere. Every step, every fight, every hand outstretched to a sexual assault survivor shows that those in favor of justice and truth will not shy away from the challenges presented each and every day. This feels like a tremendous step back, but Dr. Ford having the strength and support that allowed her to even be able to stand before Congress and speak is a demonstration of the unbridled resilience of sexual assault survivors and their supporters. Keep standing. Keep fighting. I know I will. Because I stand with Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. I stand with survivors. 

Comments

Popular Posts