Book Review: I Might Regret This

 I was thrilled when I heard that comedian and writer Abbi Jacobson was releasing a book, I Might Regret This. I bought the book without really looking into the contents of it because I have a fondness for clever women in show business. Especially Abbi Jacobson. Her Comedy Central show, Broad City, has brought me so much joy in its five seasons, so naturally, I wanted to learn more about her and her journey as a young comedian in a patriarchally-dominated world.
Thoughts: I could not have been more delighted. Abbi's book covers her excursion across America fueled by a mess of post-breakup feelings and a desire to renew her meaning in the world with plenty of emotional and hilarious anecdotes about her life. I've read quite a few celebrity memoirs and some of my other favorite actresses and comedians, funny and charming as they are, have not struck as much of a chord with me as Abbi Jacobson's I Might Regret This. It may be silly to say this, but I have never felt more understood by a book in my life. Abbi Jacobson knows how to write like a real human being. She knows how to make her audience feel like even their most unexplainable emotions and struggles are understood by simply writing about her own life! I highly encourage anyone who's feeling lost, lonely, or just wants to know more about making it in comedy to check out Jacobson's highly touching and personal work, I Might Regret This. 

My Favorite Parts:
- Abbi's sketches of album covers from the diverse collection of music that carried her through her car trip.
- Her beautiful chapter on her friendship/artistic partnership with fellow Broad City writer Ilana Glazer. It reminded me big time of my best friend that I've also had the joy of acting and creating with time and time again.

Favorite Quotes (be proud of me for picking these because this entire book is super quotable):
"The things we are most afraid of are the things that will ultimately change our whole makeup."
"Like most adult scenarios, everything is high school all over again."
"The doors that have been shut, the ones I've walked away from, sad, frustrated, and depleted, have always somehow led to the other doors, the ones I didn't see right away, the ones that opened so many others. I have to remember this more often."
"Measuring one's life in bagels is no easy task."
"Pain is...a symptom of transformation."
"Real life is like a constant Yelp review, everyone has notes on how the experience could be improved."
"It's okay to be nervous and excited at the same time, to be unsure of what's ahead."


You can follow Abbi Jacobson on Twitter and Instagram @abbijacobson.

Comments

Popular Posts